The Town of Smithtown Emergency Management personnel participated in the Suffolk County update yesterday evening regarding the evolving Coronavirus Situation. The following information is intended to assist residents in taking preventative actions and precautions to avoid further spread of the Coronavirus. The Town will continue to receive and relay regular updates as new information becomes available from the vast multi-agency communications network.
It is important that residents stay calm and use good precautionary judgement, much like we would during influenza season. Older adults and individuals with pre-existing medical conditions such as Heart & Lung disease are more susceptible to the virus and should make necessary provisions to avoid possible exposure risk. This also goes for caregivers and your families… Be smart, stay calm and look out for one another.
- Keep space between yourself and others; refrain from shaking hands, hugging and similar social contact.
- Avoid close proximity to others who are sick, and wash your hands thoroughly and often.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible such as public transportation and events.
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel.
- Stay home as much as possible to further reduce your risk of being exposed.
- Avoid touching public high touch surface areas like elevator buttons, door handles, handrails, etc. Use a tissue or your sleeve to cover your hand or finger if you must touch something.
- Avoid touching your face, nose, eyes, etc.
- Clean and disinfect your home to remove germs, particularly frequently touched surfaces like tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks & cell phones.
- Keep a travel sized bottle of Hand Sanitizer handy at all times.
- Contact your healthcare provider to ask about obtaining extra prescriptions to have on hand. Consider using mail-order for medications.
- Stock up on over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies to treat a fever and other flu like symptoms. Most people will be able to recover from the Coronavirus at home.
- Have enough household items and groceries on hand so that you will be prepared to stay at home for a period of time.
Currently, there is one confirmed Coronavirus case in Suffolk County. There are no reported cases in the Town of Smithtown as of this morning. For the majority of individuals, the risk is low as is any threat of widespread circulation. Older adults, individuals with chronic medical conditions and healthcare professionals are more at risk than others. Pregnant women can be more susceptible to viral respiratory infections, and such should take extra precautionary measures. If you or a family member may have been exposed to the Coronavirus, call your doctor. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days of exposure and include mild to severe fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
For more information on Symptoms or possible exposure visit: www.cdc.gov/COVID19-symptoms
For frequently asked questions, please visit the Suffolk County website or call 311.
Travelers, especially those with underlying health issues, should cancel cruise ship travel abroad. If you have traveled to China, Iran, Italy, & South Korea you will be asked to stay home for a period of 14 days from the time you left the area with widespread or ongoing community spread. Older adults or individuals with chronic medical conditions should postpone travel to destinations abroad.
For questions or concerns about travel and symptoms call 1-888-364-3065.
Symptoms Print Out
Stop the Spread Print Out: English & Spanish