Meals on Wheels
Funding provided by the U. S. Administration for Community Living through New York State Office for the Aging, Suffolk County Office for the Aging and the Town of Smithtown.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis Monday through Friday. Registration begins in person at 9:30 a.m.. A suggested meal contribution of $2.25 is recommended. No one will be denied service if they do not make a contribution.
Persons with self-declared incomes at or above 185% of the federal poverty level are encouraged to make a contribution equal to the actual cost of the meal.
Lunch is served at 11:45 a.m. Monday through Friday.
Home Delivered Meal Plan Overview
The applicant must meet eligibility criteria. An in-home assessment is required. Meals on Wheels is meant to be a temporary service, and reassessments are done on an annual basis. Hot, nutritious meals are delivered by volunteers to the frail home bound elderly Monday through Friday. The suggested meal contribution is $2.50 and is put back into the program. No one will be denied service if they do not make a contribution.
Home Bound Meals-Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible for Meals on Wheels, the applicant must be:
- Able to accept responsibility for consumption of meals.
- Assessed by the PDS assessor.
- Have no family or other persons capable of providing adequate meals.
- Physically / or mentally unable to prepare or provide for his / her own nutritional needs.
- Unable to attend a congregate setting and have no alternative through which his / her nutritional needs can be met.
Note: There are no emergency services.