Useful Internet Sites
Helpful Resources for Seniors
- AARP: Information on AARP is available here!
- Call (888) 687-2277 for more information.
- BrightFocus Foundation formerly known as the American Health Assistance Foundation (AHAF): BrightFocus Foundation funds research on age-related and degenerative diseases. Website provides education to public about various diseases and may provide emergency financial assistance to Alzheimer's disease patients and their caregivers.
- Call (800) 437-2423 for more information.
- Benefits Checkup - National Council on the Aging: Benefits Checkup is a free, easy-to-use service that identifies federal and state assistance programs for older Americans.
- Call (800) 677-1116 for more information.
- Elderweb: Resource for information on many issues concerning seniors, including long-term care and housing.
- Family Caregiver Alliance: Features specialized information on Alzheimer's, stroke, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson's, ALS and other disorders and long-term care concerns.
- Call (800) 445-8106 for more information.
- Federation of Organizations: Respite program, which allows caregivers a break from the stress and demands of daily care giving.
- Call (631) 669-5355, or (631) 321-8229 for more information.
- Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP): Assists seniors with health insurance paperwork including Medicare, Medicaid, supplemental and long-term care insurance.
- Call (631) 853-6651 for more information.
- LILP's Critical Care Program: File a medical certificate and LIPA will tag your account as "critical care." When severe weather is predicted, LIPA will call you to make preparations. If power outage occurs, LIPA will make every effort to restore service as soon as possible.
- Call (800) 490-0025 for more information.
- Long Island Alzheimer's Foundation (LIAF)
- Call (516) 767-6856 for more information.
- Medicare: Get all the answers to your Medicare questions.
- Call (800) 633-4227 for more information.
- New York House Calls: Doctor referral service for house calls.
- Call (866) 268-0257 for more information.
- Office of Handicapped Services (OHS)
- Call (631) 853-8333 for more information.
- Safelink Wireless: Discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers.
- Call (800) 977-3768 for more information.
- Social Security: This website includes information on Social Security, Retirement, Survivor's Benefits, Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Call (800) 772-1213 for more information.
- Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT): Curb-to-curb transportation for anyone physically or mentally unable to use public transportation. Application must be completed to be eligible. Certain restrictions apply.
- Call (631) 853-8337 for more information.
- Touro Law Center Senior Citizen's Law Program: Legal services provided free of charge to Suffolk County residents 60 years and over. Assistance available with issues including: Income /Nutrition/Benefits, Health/Long-term care, Housing/Utilities, Guardianship/Neglect/Abuse and Consumer Fraud/Debts/Loans.
- Call (631) 761-7470 for more information.
- Veteran's Administration: Information available regarding benefits for veterans and their spouses.
- Call (800) 827-1000 for more information.
- Vial of Life: Vial contains important medical information to assist emergency medical personnel in administering proper medical treatment. Decal is placed on front door and on bag containing Vial of Life form; bag with Vial of Life form should be placed in refrigerator. Order free form and decals.
- Call (888) 473-2800 for more information.
- Avalon Gardens Rehabilitation and Health Center: Route 25A, Smithtown
- Call (631) 724-1228 for more information.
- St. Johnland: 395 Sunken Meadow Road, Kings Park
- Call (631) 663-2467 for more information.
- Kings Park Manor
300 Ardito Avenue, Kings Park
- Martin Luther Terrace
116 Wartburg Court, Kings Park
- Siena Village
2000 Bishops Road, Smithtown